Sunday, October 6, 11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Ames Family Atrium and Gartner Auditorium. FREE.
This annual festival is a day for honoring your heritage, celebrating your identities, and displaying them proudly. The day will include music and dance performances, art activities for every ability, in-gallery experiences, and dialogues united within the context of the museum’s global art collection. The day will also include a naturalization ceremony to welcome new U.S. citizens and a lineup of short films from the New York International Children's Film Festival.
NATURALIZATION CEREMONY (11:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m., Gartner Auditorium)
Witness a pivotal milestone as dozens of immigrants take the oath to complete the process of becoming a naturalized US citizen. Administered by a judge from the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio.
COMMUNITY CONCERT (12:30–5:00 p.m., Gartner Auditorium)
Enjoy a showcase of music, dance, theater, and spoken-word performances from community groups representing the diverse cultures of our city. Hosted by DJ Tony Fresh.
GLOBAL VILLAGE SQUARE (11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Ames Family Atrium)
Participate in activities connecting you with cultures from around the world.
International Community Activities Enjoy an array of community-driven activities, demonstrations, and displays from more than 30 groups.
- CMA Open Studio | Wearable Art Activity Create wearable works of art inspired by objects in the museum’s collection. Featuring guest artist Wendy Mahon.
- CMA Art Cart | Art of Adornment (11:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.) Consider connections across time and space among different cultures with this presentation of objects of adornment from the museum’s Education Art Collection.
- Community Conversations Global Cleveland welcomes and connects international newcomers to economic and social opportunities in Greater Cleveland. Engage in community conversations about the journey of immigration, celebrating our differences and what it means to come from somewhere else. Look for volunteers wearing Global Cleveland t-shirts in the Ames Family Atrium.
- Batik Banner Display A collection of batik banners created by community cultural groups are displayed above the Ames Family Atrium. The banners were designed in workshops led by CMA Community Arts.
FILM SHORTS (1:20–3:00 p.m., Morley Lecture Hall) FREE
- Hidden in Plain Sight (1:20 & 2:45 p.m.) An 11-minute documentary explores the history, beauty, and meaning of the Cleveland Cultural Gardens. Recommended for ages 8+.
- Kid Flicks from the New York International Children’s Film Festival (1:30–2:45 p.m.) Eight short films (both animation and live action) from eight countries (Australia, France, Japan, Lithuania, Russia, South Korea, Sweden, and USA) compose this program of highlights from the New York International Children’s Film Festival. Recommended for ages 8+. Cleveland premiere.
Limited to 25 people per talk. All depart from the atrium’s bamboo garden near Provenance Café.
- 12:00 p.m. CMA Student Guide Close-Looking Session on Emeka Ogboh’s Ámà: The Gathering Place
- 1:00 p.m. Daily Guided Tour of CMA Highlights Led by Kathleen Hickman
- 2:00 & 4:00 p.m. Ancient African-Egyptian Art & History Led by Kevin Heard • 3:00 p.m. CMA Student Guide Close-Looking Session on Emeka Ogboh’s Ámà: The Gathering Place
ARTLENS APP (SELF-GUIDED TOURS)
The museum’s free ArtLens App allows you to view and learn about every object currently on view in the building, whether you are on- or off-site. Experience any number of self-guided tours using interactive wayfinding tools, create your own tour, or take a museum- or visitor-created tour. ArtLens App is available for free download to all iOS (Apple) and Android devices from the iTunes App Store or Google Play. iPads are also available to rent from the ArtLens Gallery Help Desk for FREE. Find the following self-guided tours in the “Featured” section of the app’s tour menu:
- Global Cleveland Immigrants Art Tour Features works created by artists who immigrated to the US.
- Art of Adornment Features works that inspired today’s Open Studio and Art Cart.
- Must CMA Highlights the museum’s finest works and must-see objects. #mustcma
- The Age of Empires Explores the complex stories of objects with ties to European colonialism.
- Medieval Monsters: Terrors, Aliens, Wonders FREE
- Michelangelo: Mind of the Master Adults $15, groups of 10 or more $10, seniors $10, students $5, children 6–17 $5, and children 5 and under free. CMA members free, member guests $7.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
- Margaret Wong & Associates
THANK YOU TO OUR COMMUNITY PARTNERS
- Cleveland Cultural Gardens Federation
- Global Cleveland
SHARE YOUR PHOTOS
#INTLDAYatCMA @clevelandmuseumofart #clevelandmuseumofart
Questions about International Cleveland Community Day? Please call 216-707-6800.